Communication Studies Speech Lab!
The UNL Communication Studies Speech Lab is located in Louise Pound Hall 306.
Our lab consultants are available to assist students enrolled in COMM 101, 109, 209, and 286 with speech delivery and basic outlining and writing skills related to the assignments in your class. We are happy to help and give suggestions to improve your work, but we will always ask that you defer to your instructor for your final product.
Here you can find general information for the Communications Studies Speech Lab and set up an appointment to work with one of our consultants.
While we do take appointments in 15 minute increments, walk-ins are very welcome!
We are looking forward to seeing you soon!
UNL Speech Lab General Information
Speech Lab Director:
Dr. Brigit K. Talkington
Speech Lab Consultants:
Mr. William Cooney
Dr. William Seiler
Dr. Brigit Talkington
*If you have questions or problems regarding the UNL Speech Lab, please contact the director, Dr. Brigit K. Talkington
Speech Lab Spring 2019 Hours of Operation
Monday: 10:30-11:00 am
Tuesday: 8:45 am - 10:00 am; 11:00 am - 3:30 pm
Wednesday: 10:30-11:00 am; 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Thursday: 8:30 am - 10:15 am; 11:00 am - 3:30 pm
Friday: 10:30 am - 3:00 pm
The UNL Speech Lab offers both walk-in sessions and 20 minute appointments.
We will not be open during Finals' Week.
How to Make an Appointment using the Scheduler Tool
The scheduling tool in Canvas is a convenient way to make an appointment for the UNL Speech Lab. You are not required to make an appointment to visit the speech lab, but the option is available to you and those who make appointments will be given priority, especially during busy times.
Each Friday, the Speech Lab Director will update the appointments available for the following week so you can plan ahead in your schedule. Please read the following directions to guide you in making an appointment and/or canceling an appointment that you have made.
Step 1: Log onto Canvas and click on the Calendar link Global Navigation, the column on the far left of your computer screen.
Step 2: Locate the calendars available to you on the right hand side of the screen. The Speech Lab Spring 2019 calendar should be in color. If it is not (it will be grey) click on the box so that it is in color. If this box is grey then it will be muted and you will not be able to locate appointment times.
Step 3: Once you have ensured that the calendar is unmuted, click on the Scheduler tab located at the top of the calendar screen.
Step 4: You will see a list of dates available for appointments. Click on the day you would like and a list of available times will generate.
Step 5: Click on an available time and a window will generate.
Step 6: Click on the Reserve link and your appointment will be reserved.
Information for Walk In Students:
The UNL Communication Studies Speech Lab is committed to assisting all eligible students to prepare for the assignments in their classes. We take appointments, and we will remain a walk-in service as well. Students, however, should be aware that if they opt out of the appointment scheduler, those students with appointments will be given priority. Here are some things students should expect:
1. If a student who does not have an appointment comes to the lab during the time another student has an appointment, they will be told to sign in and will be given an approximate wait time.
2. If a student who does not have an appointment is working with a consultant during the time that another student has an appointment, the consultant should have already let the walk in student know that another student may arrive during their time. If/when the student with the appointment arrives, they will be asked to sign in and the consultant will offer some relevant task to complete while they wait for the student with the appointment to have their time.
3. If a student who is a walk-in comes in during a day/time that is exceptionally busy, especially if there are back-to-back appointments, the consultant may ask the student if they would like to sign up for an available appointment time to ensure they have time to be seen.
4. In any of these cases, the consultant on duty will do their best to accommodate as many students as possible.
1. It is always best to plan ahead. Do not come to the lab for the first time when the assignment is due the next day or later in the day you visit. Students should aim to leave plenty of time to visit the lab for extra credit so that they don’t have to worry about the lab being too busy to serve them.
2. Although the lab consultants are very happy to help students, it is not an expectation that they will stay after the posted hours to help students. Please encourage your students to come to the lab with at least 30 minutes left in the day’s schedule to ensure the consultants’ ability to help them in a timely manner.
3. Having an appointment does not entitle a student to hours of devoted time to them alone. Each appointment time is 15-20 minutes long. After that time, the consultant may move on to assist another student. At the same time, students are welcome to work in the lab on their own at any time the lab is open for business.
4. Lab consultants will make every effort to maintain the Speech Lab during the times we are open. When the lab is closed, a sign will be posted on the door of the Speech Lab, and an announcement will be made through Canvas. We will appreciate patience on those rare occasions.
Director of the Speech Lab