The UNL Communication Studies Speech Lab is located in Canvas. If you are enrolled in the classes listed below and do not have access, please send me an e-mail.
Your Speech Lab tutors look forward to helping students enrolled in COMM 101, 109, 209, and 286 develop speaking note, overcome speech anxiety, and improve speech delivery. Although we are happy to give suggestions to help you improve, you should always defer to your instructor's comments. Before working with a Speech Lab tutor on any extemporaneous speech, meet with your instructor; we look forward to helping you improve your delivery with respect to your instructor's feedback.
Tutoring sessions are in 30-minute increments, and we welcome walk-ins.
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Mr. William Cooney
Mr. William Cooney
Mrs. Katie Storck
If you have any questions or problems regarding the UNL Speech Lab, please contact the director, Mr. William Cooney.
The Speech Lab hours will be posted to canvas, and the hours for each week will posted on the proceeding Saturday. We offer 30-minute tutoring sessions by appointment.
We will not be open the week of final exams.
How to make an appointment using Canvas
Canvas lets you conveniently make an appointment for the UNL Speech Lab. You are not required to make an appointment to visit the speech lab, but those who make appointments will have a guaranteed tutoring session. This is especially important during busy times.
The Speech Lab Director will update the appointments available for the coming weeks so you can plan your schedule accordingly. You may only make one appointment per day and must cancel appointments that you will not make before the Speech Lab opens on the day of your appointment. Failure to promptly cancel appointments may result in a suspension of your ability to make appointments.
Please read the following directions to guide you in making an appointment for a Speech Lab Tutoring Session.
- Log onto Canvas and click on the Calendar link in the Global Navigation panel, which is the column on the far left of your web page.
- (A) Locate the calendars available to you on the right-hand side of the web-page; the box next to the "Speech Lab Fall 2020" calendar should be colored. (B) If this box is grey, it is muted, and you will not be able to locate appointment times. (C) To activate the "Speech Lab Fall 2020 Calendar, click on the box so that it becomes colored.
- Once you have activated the calendar, click on the "Find Appointment" button located directly above the calendars on the right-hand side of the web-page.
- You will see a list of dates and times available for appointments. Scroll down to find the date and time that you would like. You may click on any slot that says "Speech Lab Tutoring Session – 1 Available."
- When you click on an available appointment, a window will generate—if it does not, turn off your pop-up blocker.
- Click the "Reserve" button at the bottom of the window to finish making your Tutoring Session Appointment.
To meet with a tutor, you must make an appointment and use the link for the tutoring session to join one of our Zoom meeting rooms. The Speech Lab will generally post hours by Saturday at 2:00 pm CST for the following week. Please use your Canvas Calendar to see the Speech Lab's weekly availability.
- It is always best to plan ahead. Do not come to the Speech Lab for the first time when the assignment is due later in the day you visit. Students should aim to leave plenty of time to visit the lab.
- Lab tutors will make every effort to maintain the Speech Lab's posted hours. If the lab needs to close, an announcement will be sent through Canvas and an e-mail to all students with impacted appointments. We appreciate your patience on those rare occasions when the lab closes unexpectedly.
Louis Pound Hall 377