The UNL Communication Studies Speech Lab is located in Louis Pound Hall 306.
Your Speech Lab tutors look forward to helping students enrolled in COMM 101, 109, 209, and 286 develop speaking note, overcome speech anxiety, and improve speech delivery. Although we are happy to give suggestions to help you improve, you should always defer to your instructor's comments. Before working with a Speech Lab tutor on any extemporaneous speech, meet with your instructor; we look forward to helping you improve your delivery with respect to your instructor's feedback.
Tutoring sessions are run in 30-minute increments, and we welcome walk-ins.
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Mr. William Cooney
Mr. William Cooney
Mrs. Katie Storck
Dr. Bill Seiler
If you have any questions or problems regarding the UNL Speech Lab, please contact the director, Mr. William Cooney.
Fall 2019 Hours
Monday: 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.; 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.; 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Thursday: 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Friday: 10:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
We offer 30-minute walk-in tutoring sessions.
We will not be open the week of final exams.
How to Make an Appointment using Canvas
Canvas lets you conveniently make an appointment for the UNL Speech Lab. You are not required to make an appointment to visit the speech lab, but those who make appointments will have a guaranteed tutoring session. This is especially important during busy times.
Each Saturday, the Speech Lab Director will update the appointments available for the next three weeks so you can plan your schedule accordingly. You may only make one appointment per day.
Please read the following directions to guide you in making an appointment for a Speech Lab Tutoring Session.
- Log onto Canvas and click on the Calendar link in the Global Navigation panel, which is the column on the far-left of your web-page.
- (A) Locate the calendars available to you on the right-hand side of the web-page; the box next to the "Speech Lab Fall 2019" calendar should be colored. (B) If this box is grey, it is muted, and you will not be able to locate appointment times. (C) to activate the "Speech Lab Fall 2019 Calendar, click on the box so that it becomes colored.
- Once you have activated the calendar, click on the "Find Appointment" button located directly above the calendars on the right-hand side of the web-page.
- You will see a list of dates and times available for appointments. Scroll down to find the date and time that you would like. You may click on any slot that says "Speech Lab Tutoring Session – 1 Available."
- When you click on an available appointment, a window will generate—if it does not, turn off your pop-up blocker.
- Click the "Reserve" button at the bottom of the window to finish making your Tutoring Session Appointment.
The UNL Communication Studies Speech Lab is committed to assisting all eligible students to prepare for the assignments in their classes. While we take appointments, we are happy provide walk-in tutoring sessions. Students, however, should be aware that students with appointments have guaranteed tutoring sessions during their scheduled time.
Here are some things students should expect:
- If a student who does not have a scheduled tutoring session comes to the lab during the time another student has an appointment, they will be told to sign in and will need to wait until the top of the next hour or the next half hour for a tutoring session.
- If a student who does not have an appointment is working with a tutor during another student's scheduled session. The tutor will let the walk-in student know that another student may arrive during that time. If and when the student with the appointment arrives, the walk-in student will be asked to sign-in and the tutor will offer some work for the student to complete during the scheduled tutoring session.
- If a walk-in student comes in during a time that is exceptionally busy—especially if there are back-to-back appointments—the tutor may ask the student to sign up for an available appointment later in the day or week to ensure that he or she can guarantee a tutoring session.
- In any of these cases, the tutor on duty will do his or her best to work with as many students as possible.
- It is always best to plan ahead. Do not come to the Speech Lab for the first time when the assignment is due later in the day you visit. Students should aim to leave plenty of time to visit the lab for extra credit so that they do not have to worry about the lab being too busy to serve them.
- Although we are happy to help, tutors will not stay after the posted hours. Please come to the lab with at least 30 minutes left in the day's schedule to ensure that you have enough time for a tutoring session.
- Each tutoring session is about 30-minutes long and begins at the top of each hour and on the half-hour. At those times, the tutor will begin assisting the next student. With that said, students are welcome to work in the Speech Lab any time it is open for tutoring.
- Lab tutors will make every effort to maintain the Speech Lab's posted times. If the lab needs to close, a sign will be posted on the Speech Lab door. We appreciate your patience on those rare occasions when the lab closes unexpectedly.
Louis Pound Hall 377