Let curiosity move you to major or minor in communication studies!
Your major in communication studies will focus on developing intellectual capacities to advocate, negotiate and relate, putting you on a pathway to successfully navigate professional, personal and public life. You’ll learn how to craft a persuasive message, what communication strategies aid health and well-being, and why communication is at the heart of identity and culture.
Start with the core requirements focusing on communication, collaboration and community, and then dive deep into areas that match your interests.
In the College of Arts and Sciences, we know experience is valuable and goes beyond the classroom. We strive to help you connect your academics with research, internships, education abroad, service learning and leadership experiences. Take advantage of opportunities in communication studies such as:
- Studying abroad in the inspiring Veneto region of Italy
- Participating on the seven-time Big Ten champion Speech and Debate team
- Serving on the new Undergraduate Student Advisory Board
- Interning with Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo
- Researching communication techniques used in coping
- Volunteering with the Center for Civic Engagement
Did you know communication is the #1 skill sought by employers? As communication studies majors you will prepare yourself with the knowledge and skills necessary for entering a wide variety of career fields, such as law, politics, government, public administration, public relations, personnel management, industrial/labor relations, sales, marketing, sales management, education, health/social services, business/industry, media, performing arts, ministry, counseling, public information management and teaching as well as graduate studies in communication studies and related disciplines. Here are examples of recent graduates’ employment:
- Account Manager/Marketing Consultant / THREE EAGLES COMMUNICATIONS
- Behavioral Health Specialist / CHILDREN’S RESPITE CARE CENTER
- Communications Outreach Specialist / NET TV
- Director of CEO Communications / BACK TO THE BIBLE
- Human Resources Generalist / CITY OF LINCOLN
- Investment Specialist / MERRILL EDGE
- Program Director / FREMONT PUBLIC SCHOOLS
- Sales Operations Coordinator / HEALTHCARE
- Truman Fellow/Policy Analyst / U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
- Web Design and Marketing / SIMPLIFIED OFFICE SOLUTIONS