For Current Students
The major in Communication Studies is designed to encourage students to develop a program of study tailored to their individual interests and needs. Majors are expected to meet regularly with their advisor. An approved emphasis or area of study must be filed at the time students declare the major or within the first 12 hours of course work in the major. In order to graduate with a Communication Studies major, students must have an approved program of study. The minimum number of hours for a major in Communication Studies is 36 as of the 2011-2012 Undergraduate Bulletin.
Major requirements include:
- Taking ONE of the following: COMM 109, 209, 212, or 286.
- Completing both COMM 200 and 201. These courses should be completed within the first twelve hours of the major. They are prerequisites for all 400-level classes.
- Completing COMM 495 during the senior year. (COMM 488 is no longer offered. Students may enroll in COMM 495 to fulfill this requirement.)
- Taking a minimum of 21 hours in Communication Studies at or above the 300-level, excluding COMM 390 and COMM 490. Of the 21 credit hours, at least 9 must be at the 400-level. NOTE: Communication Studies 200 and 201 must be completed before enrolling in any 400-level course. Comm 490 cannot be used to meet this requirement.
- A grade of "C" or above is required for all courses to count within the major.
The department encourages qualified students to enroll in internship, independent study and study abroad experiences in order to supplement classroom learning. No more than 3 hours of internship, independent study, or study abroad credits may count toward the 36-hour requirement in the major.
REQUIREMENTS FOR PLAN A & B MINORS IN COMMUNICATION STUDIES
Plan A Minor: This minor consists of a minimum of 18 credit hours in Communication Studies with at least 9 credit hours at or above the 300-level. The 18-hour requirement must include the following:
- Either COMM 109, 209, 212, or 286.
- COMM 200 or COMM 201.
- A minimum of 9 hours in Communication Studies at or above the 300-level excluding COMM 390 and COMM 490.
- Of the 9 hours, at least 3 must be at the 400-level. COMM 200 or COMM 201 must be completed before a student can enroll in any 400-level course. COMM 490 cannot be used to meet this requirement.
- The department encourages qualified students to enroll in internship, independent study and study abroad experiences in order to supplement classroom learning. No more than 3 hours of internship, independent study, or study abroad credits may count toward the 18-hour requirement in the minor.
Plan B Minor: Twelve hours of Communication Studies courses with 9 hours at or above the 200-level excluding COMM 390 or COMM 490. A maximum of 3 hours of internship or independent study may apply to the 12-hour requirement. Students are encouraged to develop a program of study tailored to their individual interests and needs.
- Speech Lab
- Course descriptions
- Research Study Opportunities
- Opportunities for undergraduate majors
- Speech & Debate
- The Gaming Research Report
- National Communication Association
- Central States Communication Association
- Western States Communication Association
- Ask for a recommendation letter
- UNL's Career Center
- National Communication Association Career Center
- Grading, Grade Appeals, and Academic Misconduct Policy