University of Nebraska-Lincoln
410 Oldfather Hall
Lincoln, NE 68588-0329
- WE WANT YOU: Opportunities With Cornhusker Speech & Debate
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 2011 Year in Review
- Scholarships (Speech)
- Scholarships (Debate)
- Speech Event Descriptions
- About the Cornhusker Summer Forensics Institute
- Summer Camp Flyer 2013
- Summer Camp Application 2013
- Tenth Annual Cornhusker Invitational HS Tournament
Donald O. Olson Memorial Fund for Speech & Debate
All gifts directed toward this fund will be used to cover the expenses needed to travel, register students for competition, host tournaments, and purchase supplies.
COrnhusker Speech & Debate Achievements
- 2013 Nebraska State Champions!
- Five individual national champions since 2000 and 7 national runners up since 2000
- National champions in all three areas of individual events competition
- Team has placed among top twenty teams nationally for the past sixteen years in a row
- 14 out-round events at AFA National Individual Events Tournament 2012
- 8th place finish in Speech at the American Forensics Association's National Individual Events Tournament 2012
- 8th place finish in Debate at the National Forensics Association's Annual Tournament 2012
- 1st place finish in Speech in President's Division III at the National Forensics Association's Annual Tournament 2012
- One of only two teams in the country to win awards in speech and debate National Forensics Association's Annual Tournament
- 2nd and 3rd place finishes in Lincoln Douglas Debate at Pi Kappa Delta National Tournament
- 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 Nebraska Intercollegiate Forensics Association Combined Team Champions
UNL Speech & Debate Team Wins 4th Straight State Championship
The University of Nebraska - Lincoln's speech and debate team were named the state champions this past weekend at the Nebraska Intercollegiate Forensic Association's State Tournament, Feb. 16, hosted by the University of Nebraska - Lincoln. This accomplishment is especially meaningful as the state fielded four of the nation's top 20 teams in 2012.
UNL won the speech tournament with 145 points, the University of Nebraska-Omaha placed second with 97 points, and Hastings College placed third with 41.5 points. In addition to the team awards, UNL students captured a total of four individual state championships. Senior Patrick Sather of Bellevue won Poetry Interpretation, junior Josh Planos of Omaha won Dramatic Interpretation, freshmen Grace Solem- Pfiefer of Omaha won After Dinner Speaking, and sophomore Reece Ristau of Omaha won Oratory. By virtue of finishing as the top orator in the state, Ristau also qualified to represent the state of Nebraska at the National Interstate Oratory Tournament to be held on April 26-27 in Shreveport, Louisiana. In addition to winning the overall championship, UNL also won the quality award.
The state championship marks the fourth straight overall state championship for the team. The team has also placed first in individual events for 7 of the past 8 years. The Speech team is preparing to compete at the American Forensic Association's - National Individual Events Tournament to be held on the campus of Hutchinson Community College in Hutchinson, Kansas on April 6-8. The Debate team is preparing to compete at the National Forensics Association's – National Tournament to be on the campus of Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia on April 18th-22nd.